Popular articles from I Love Orlando
An Interview with B.B. King's Chef Carl BarnardSummer 2009
If you’re looking for good eats in Central Florida, why not go straight to the source. We sat down with BB King’s Chef Carl Barnard, to discuss a great place to Eat, Drink and Dance your Blues Away...
1. You’re stranded on a desert island, what 5 foods would you want with you, and what would you make?
Chicago style pizza, Chicago style hot dogs, Chicago style Italian beef with provolone and au jus and cold beer and maybe a TV with the Bears game.
2. What is the most essential item in your kitchen?
The tilt skillet
3. What do you cook at home that you never cook at the restaurant?
I cook big old fashioned breakfasts at home-the restaurant is not open for breakfast.
4. Where did you learn to cook?
My mom and later, Johnson and Wales University and experience, experience, experience…
5. What are your best creations?
Thanksgiving Dinner and whatever my children chose for their “special” birthday dinner.
6. What are the classics that you always put on the menu?
Fresh bread, fresh seafood, fresh vegetables and good cuts of beef, pork and chicken
7. What is your favorite meal in the restaurant and why?
I like the loin back ribs because they are really tender and juicy. I like the deep fried pickles with horseradish sauce to go along with the ribs.
8. Name 3 great wines you love to drink with your favorite meals at the restaurant.
I think beer goes better with bbq like Fosters or Budweiser, but a red or rose zinfandel will go well with bbq foods and a steely chardonnay is good with the Bayou Boil.
9. If you were not a chef or in the food business, what would you be?
If I was not a chef, I would be a rock and roll star!!